AASI was founded in July 1997 by a core group of local astronomy buffs. Meetings have been held throughout the area and on different nights. The club finally settled into a routine and now meets on the 2nd Monday of the month at 6:00 at Pagliai’s Restaurant in Carbondale.
- 1997 – club was founded
- Early 2000s – large public observations held at Giant City State Park
- 2009 – AASI identified an ideal observation site near Marion, Illinois.
- 2010 – the club acquired mirrors and other telescope parts to construct 6″ and 4.5″ telescopes.
- 2011 – AASI received a generous gift of an 8″ Meade LX5 telescope which is used for both club and public observations.
- 2016 – AASI received a gift of a Meade 4.5″ goto telescope which will be used for public observations.
- 2017 – March AASI received a gift of a Meade LightBridge 16-Inch Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope which is used for public and club observations.
- 2017 – March AASI received a gift of a Sky Shed POD observatory.
- 2017 – AASI received a gift of a Bushnell North Star 3″ reflector telescope. This is a good starter telescope and will be put in our lending library.